The Polikarpov U-2 or Po-2 was in production for longer than any other Soviet aircraft. It served as a general-purpose Soviet biplane, nicknamed Kukuruznik and had the NATO reporting name of Mule. The aircraft's characteristics served it well as a trainer and crop-duster in peacetime as well as a low-cost ground attack, aerial reconnaissance and liaison aircraft during war.
More than 40, 000 examples of the Polikarpov Po-2 were produced between 1928 and 1953.
A Polikarpov Po-2 recorded 1st May 2011 at Old Warden during it's first public flight. This aircraft has just finished a lenghty restoration at the Shuttleworth Collection. This is one of four surviving Po-2 aircraft left worldwide.
Polikarpov Po-2 recorded October 2011 at the Shuttleworth Collection, Old Warden.