Sound Recordings of Classic Aircraft » Polikarpov
The Polikarpov Design Bureau was a Soviet design bureau for aircraft led by Nikolai Nikolaevich Polikarpov. After the death of Polikarpov the bureau was absorbed into Lavochkin. Poliparkov's production facilities were then used by Sukhoi. Polikarpov OKB headquarters were located at Aircraft plant #1 in Moscow.
The Polikarpov U-2 or Po-2 was in production for longer than any other Soviet aircraft. It served as a general-purpose Soviet biplane, nicknamed Kukuruznik and had the NATO reporting name of Mule. The aircraft's characteristics served it well as a trainer and crop-duster in peacetime as well as a low-cost ground attack, aerial reconnaissance and liaison aircraft during war.
More than 40, 000 examples of the Polikarpov Po-2 were produced between 1928 and 1953.
A Polikarpov Po-2 recorded 1st May 2011 at Old Warden during it's first public flight. This aircraft has just finished a lenghty restoration at the Shuttleworth Collection. This is one of four surviving Po-2 aircraft left worldwide.
Polikarpov Po-2 recorded October 2011 at the Shuttleworth Collection, Old Warden.